Jankel is entering into a very exiting phase due to growth in its bespoke product development and survivability products. This growth is not forecast, it’s a reality with several fantastic projects already on the high-level plan. Projects include defence vehicles, low and medium volume along with survivability products.
To support this growth and be successful in the delivery of the projects the business needs to develop and mature its internal systems & organisational structure. Change is in the air for Jankel; as a result, this opportunity in particular will play a significant part in the re-structure and development of our core competence team.
The Engineering team is being transformed with the overall product and platform engineering expertise coming from the Chief Engineer team, led by the Head of Engineering. This role is further supported by dedicated Design Engineers as well as access to engineering support functions such as Analysis, Test & Development, Certification & Safety and ILS, etc.
The Project Engineer’s role will be to take on specific ownership of particular projects and product modules. The scope of the role includes, but is not limited to; product configuration, concept generation and system leadership during all phases of product delivery from pre-bid through to series production. They hold overall product responsibility of engineering correctness of the particular projects and product modules and all of its supporting data.
The Project Engineer will be required to write technical specifications and test specifications and to undertake root-cause analysis. This role will also include an element of hands-on fault-finding and testing of automotive systems to support prototype development and rig design/build and proving.
Additionally, the Project Engineer will support the design team ensuring that any design for manufacture issues of the product are considered during the initial design phase. The Project Engineer will also be responsible for project Configuration Management and will oversee the Engineering Change Activity for each project.
In supporting the Chief Engineer there will also be a requirement to prepare formal and informal project stage reviews for the customer (e.g. PDR, CDR, etc.). The Project Engineer will be responsible for the co-ordination of any prototype construction through the establishment of structured frameworks such as Bill of Materials (BoM) and will also coordinate the transition from prototyping to full production through close liaison with the Supply Chain function.
A self-motivated, flexible and competent lead engineer will thrive in this role. Someone who is capable of putting their stamp on the area, as well as the business, by way of influencing a positive, productive and enjoyable culture. Meeting the customer requirements is paramount as is meeting the approved business case, to that end the individual must be capable of risk management and adopting right first time engineering principles.
- IMECHE CEng Accredited Engineering Degree or equivalent relevant experience (preferred).
- Chartered Engineer or working towards Chartered engineer status (preferred).
Automotive engineering expertise, from either an OEM or special purpose vehicle sector.
- Vehicle architecture knowledge.
- A clear understanding of vehicle attribute management and delivery.
- New product development experience from concept through to test and series manufacture.
- Experience in engagement & management of engineering outsourcing deliverables based contracts.
- Product configuration and value engineering.
- Engineering problem solving.
- Experience dealing with Senior and sometimes challenging individuals.
- Conversant with ‘Engineering tools’ such DVP, DFMEA, FEA.
- Eligible for UK Security Clearance to minimum SC level.
- Customer focussed – displays pro-active approach to meeting both internal and external customer needs.
- Results-focussed – strong desire to achieve results and works hard to reach goals and targets. Seeks to achieve results which enhance business success.
- Flexibility – displays versatility and adaptability. Identifies need for change, develops new ideas, encourages and supports innovation. Reacts positively and with enthusiasm to change and improvement. Has capability to achieve results and manage workload even at peak of pressure. Self-manages to be highly effective even at times when workload is less.
- Professional – takes career seriously and considers the business dimensions of decisions carefully. Intellectually and analytically rigorous; displays high competence in chosen field and is trusted by the business to “do the right thing”.
- Integrity and morality – acts with scrupulous honesty with customers, colleagues, and suppliers and everyone else they come into contact with in the workplace.
- Communication and listening – strong interpersonal skills; the appropriate use of written, oral, non-verbal and listening skills, with an ability to persuasively impart information and pick up on underlying messages.
- Superior planning and organisation skills.
- Problem solving – displays logic, creativity and pragmatism in resolving problems, requiring little supervision and using disciplined problem-solving methods.
- Adaptability – the ability to react to different circumstances whilst maintaining composure and focus on objectives; can be relied upon in tough situations and is able to constructively challenge the status quo to facilitate appropriate change.
- Teamwork – a strong team player with the ability to recognise and manage the team dynamic; demonstrates the ability to understand others motivations and actively assess their strengths and weaknesses, is aware of others workloads and responds accordingly.
- Leadership – strong leadership skills, conveying confidence, presence and a professional image at all levels within an organisation.
- Willing to travel in UK and internationally as required.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of duties, but it is intended to give a general indication of the range of work undertaken and will vary in detail in the light of changing demands and priorities within the Department. Any substantive changes in the range of work undertaken will be carried out in consultation with the job holder.